Who We Are
The Africa Women Independent Forum (AWIF) is a dynamic network of women and women’s organisations around Africa, committed to achieving gender equality, women’s socio-economic and human rights through strengthening the voice, impact and influence of women’s rights advocates, through lobbying, mentoring, networking, strategic alliances, and developing and recognising excellence in women. African Women Independent Forum creates interconnected networks committed to facilitating enduring transformation, through lobbying, mentoring, networking, strategic alliances, and developing and recognising excellence in women.
Promoting and empowering African women’s activism while contributing towards improving the quality of life of grassroots women and women's organisations.
Our aim is to strengthen our collective voice, consolidate women’s multi-dimensional thinking, by providing opportunities for women’s organizations to openly express their views.
Our mission is to rebuild women’s activism by advancing economic liberty, personal responsibility and political freedom and to act as a platform for mutual support and advancing human rights, gender justice and lobbying for social change.
Our core values are consistent with activist values and include:
- We foster growth and expansion through consolidating and strengthening the capacity of partners.
- We use new information, networking and communication technologies to facilitate communication and sharing of knowledge and skills
- Embracing women’s leadership-past, present and future
- Respecting different points of view
- Empowerment; Sharing knowledge of ideas
- Supporting a global, national and local network of women leaders
- Dignity , respect and opening possibilities
- Nurture a new crop of future women leaders
- Integrity; Solidarity and transparency